The therapeutic artificial organs and the life-saving devices are developed and clinically used for replacements of the biological organs and the life-saving emergency cares. In this presentation, the artificial heart and the ventricular assist devices, developed in Korea, will be discussed, and the applications of these technologies to the life-saving devices will also be presented.
The artificial hearts, replacing the left and right ventricles’ blood pumping functions, uses the following technologies; such as the electro-mechanical actuating systems, the bio-compatible materials, intelligent auto-controller systems, wireless energy transmission system and the efficient battery, fluid-dynamically designed valves, and the wireless signal transmission systems.
This artificial heart technology has been utilized for the life-saving devices for heart attack patients and the cardiopulmonary support for emergency cares, such as the HemoPulsa electro-hydraulic ventricular assist device, and T-PLS (Twin Pulse Life Support System) electromechanical heart-lung support systems.
Furthermore, these life-saving blood pumps can be used for the artificial kidney system, combined with the membrane dialyzers, and the mechanical liver systems together with the carbon filter systems for blood purifications.
- Seoul National University – B.S., 1965, Electrical Engineering
- Rutgers University, U.S.A. – M.S., 1970, Biomedical Engineering
- Rutgers University, U.S.A. – Ph.D., 1972, Biomedical Engineering
- 2008-present Visiting Professor, College of Engineering, Kangwon Natioanl University
- 2000-present Endowed-Chair Professor, Cheju National University
- 1996-1997 Chairman, Korean Society of Medical and Biological Engineering
- 1989-2008 Director, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, College of Medicine
- 1979-2008 Professor, Department of Control and Instrumentation Engineering, College of Engineering, Seoul National University
- 1979-2008 Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Medicine, Seoul National University
- 1979-1999 Chairman, Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Medicine, Seoul National University and Seoul National University Hospital
- 1974-1979 Assistant Professor, Rutgers University, Dept. of Electrical Engineering & Surgery
- 1972-1974 Research Scientist, Mount Sinai Hospital & Medical School, Dept. of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Cardiac Prosthetic Devices : Total Artificial Heart, Ventricular Assist Device, Polymer Heart Valve
Awards & Honors
Member of Sigma Xi, Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), American Society for Artificial Internal Organs (ASAIO), International Society for Artificial Organs (ISAO), Society of Biomaterials, New York Academy of Sciences and Korea Society of Medical and Biological Engineering (KOSOMBE)