Industrial robots are used in almost every field of manufacturing industries including automotive industry and electrical/electronics industry. The total worldwide stock of operational industrial robots at the end of 2011 was 1,400,000 units and estimated to increase by about 5% on average per year to 2015 as reported in “World Robotics 2012” by IFR.
Although the market size of industrial robots in 2009 was decreased by 22% due to the global financial crisis, it had reached the largest level ever recorded for one year in 2011 after the recovery of economics in 2010. Also the market size of service robots in 2011 was US$3.6 billion for professional service robots and USD$636 million for personal service robots.
By the way, Korea recorded the largest sales of robots during 2010 and 2011 thanks to the growth of ICT industry and had formed a domestic market for robots valued KRW2.1 trillion in 2011. Following the report of “2012 Research on the Actual Condition of the Robot Industry” by KAR, the value of sales for industrial robots was KRW1.6 trillion and for personal service robots KRW0.24 trillion recording the growth rate of 49% in 2011.
Although the value of robot sales in Korea has increased by about 20% on average per year, still shows a big gap from that of leading countries in the world. To increase the market size of the robot industry and make the robot industry as a dominant one in Korea, every organization in industry, university, research institute and government should actively cooperate with each other and make full efforts to build a virtuous cycle of robot industry ecosystem.
Research Activities or Achievements :
- Nov. 1998 : Patent for a generator of pulse string (Obtain the patent in Jan. 2001)
- Jun. 1995 : Robot system of Arc-welding (The ministry of Science and Technology – Jang Young Sil award)
Professional Experience :
- 2012-Present : Director of Korea Institute of Robot & Convergence
- 2010-Present : Director of Bucheon Industry Promotion Foundation
- 2008-Present : Executive Director of Korea Association of Robot Industry
- 2009-2011 : Board of Directors Gyeonggi Institute of Science & Technology Promotion
- 2011-Present : CEO of Dongbu robot
- 1998-2011 : CEO of DASA Robot (Current Dongbu robot)
- 1987-1998 : Robot R&D Engineer, LGIS
- Jun. 2008 : Completion of Jin Dae Je AMP course of Business Administration, KAIST
- Jun. 2002 : Completion of DMP course of Business Administration, Seoul National University B.S., Department of electrical engineering, Seoul National University
Honors and Awards :
- Dec. 2007 : Genibo’s U-Robot award (The Ministry of information and communication)
- Oct. 2006 : Company Technical evaluation sector (Prime Minister prize)
- Dec. 2005 : Excellent Venture business (The minister of Commerce, Industry and Energy)
- Oct. 2002 : Development of Excellent Capital goods (Prime Minister prize)