High-performance polymer solar cells (PSCs) introducing novel functional materials, such as nonconjugated/conjugated polyelectrolytes and n-or p-doped sol-gel metal oxides, will be presented. Thefunctional layers are insertedbetween the photoactive layer and electrodes viasolution processing and low annealing temperature below 80C, and induceC, and inducesignificant functions in the PSCs as follows: (i) work function tunning of the electrodes, (ii) selective contact for charge carriers, (iii) transparent optical spacer, (iv) protection of the active layer, and (v) determination of the device polarity. As a consequence, our PSCs exhibit a power conversion efficiency (ηe) exceeding ηe~ 8.3% under AM1.5 irradiation (100 mW/cm2). In addition, we also successfully incorporate our novel functional layers into all-printed PSC modules fabricated using various printing techniques, such as slot-die, ink-jet, and electro-spray printing methods.
Research Interests :
- Charge dynamics in organic molecules.
- Optical and electrical properties of metallic and semiconducting polymers.
- Ultrafast photo-induced charge transfer at the interface between semiconducting polymers and fullerene, and their nonlinear optical properties in photo-excited states.
- Charge transport in organic electronic devices: polymer LEDs, solar cells, and FETs.
- Energy generation, storage, and saving mechanisms implementing organic molecular systems.
- Doping mechanism and charge transport in graphene, CNT, conjugated/conducting polymers, and their composites
Awards and Honors:
- Science and technology medal (Apr. 2013)
- Best Research Award for the greatest number of citations (Nov. 2011)
- Best Lecture Award by GIST of Korea (Nov. 2011)
- Best Lecture Award by Seoul National University Nano IP Enterprise Program of Korea (Feb. 2011)
- Grand prize for “Knowledge Creation” by the Ministry of Knowledge Economy (Dec. 2010)
- Kyung-Ahm prize in engineering by Kyung-Ahm Education & Culture Foundation(Oct. 2010)
- Best Research Award by GIST of Korea (Nov. 2009)
- Presidential citation for excellence in science by the Ministry of Public Administration and Security (Dec. 2008)
- Selected as “2007 Korea Top 10 Scientific News” by MOST
- Award for excellence in publication by MOST (Dec. 2007)
- Grand prize for “Renewable Energy” by the Minister of Commerce, Industry, and Energy (Oct. 2007)