Only a few years after XLAB opened its doors in 1999 to local high school students, its distinguished concept to raise student’s interest in science and to encourage them to pursue scientific careers is very much accepted. Several thousands of students participate in its courses every year. At XLAB, school classes or individual students do hands-on experimentsin physics, chemistry, biology and computer sciencewith state-of-the-art-equipment under professional guidance.
The key to XLAB’s success are professionalism, intensity and internationality. A wide-reaching network of cooperations with the university and other scientific institutes ensures the standard of professionalism. The intensity of the courses in XLAB allows a significant expansion of the school curriculum.
XLAB organizes two international science camps a year. The participants are selected among highly motivated applicants from all over the world. XLAB is also welcoming groups from schools or universities in Europe, Singapore, China and other countries. This year, XLAB has celebrated the 10thanniversary of its international programs wherein 1300 students from all continents have participated so far.
- Vice president NYEX (Network of Youth Excellence)
- Executive Board (chair) of XLAB Stiftung (independent and legal foundation)
Act as Referee
- 2013 DFG Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
- Hochschulrat (Board of Trustees) der HAWK –Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften und Kunst Hildesheim, Holzminden, Göttingen (University of Applied Sciences and Arts)
- Board of Trustees of the Laser-Laboratorium Göttingen (Laser Laboratory)
- 2004~2012XLAB Science Festival, Göttingen
Awards and Honors
- 2013 FederalCrossofMeritFirstclass(Bundesverdienstkreuz1. Klasse)
- 2009 Honorary professor, University of Goettingen
- 2007 Lower Saxony State Award (Niedersächsischer Staatspreis)
- 2005 Communication Prize of the (German) Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (GBM)