The rapid advance of information technology (IT) has made it possible to connect people to people, people to things and things to things, easily, smoothly and economically. The outcome is the indreasing scale and complexity of systems surrounding us and increasing difficulty in disighning, constructing and managing them. Therefore, the focus of R&D is shifting from producing excellent components to efficiently constructing systems. The wave of systemization is now dominating the wave of digitization. Today is the age of systems.
As digitization is followed by the rapid progress of IT, systemization will certainly be followed by rapid progress of related sciences and technology, such as control, modeling, data mining, network theory, management services etc, which we call systems science and technology collectively. The future generation of systems science and technology must be the basis of the age of systems.
What is the standard way of building a good system? This is the first question in the age of systems. In this talk, we propose a three-phase method of building systems which can be a natural framework of systems building. We introduce a promotion strategy of systems sciences and technology in Japan, in which systems way of thinking is not strong.
- 1984 : Automatica Paper Prize Award from IFAC (International Federation of Automatic Control)
- 1985 : Outstanding Paper Award from IEEE Control Systems Society
- 1990 : Automatica Paper Prize Award from IFAC
- 1990 : IEEE Fellow
- 1995 : Springer Professorship at the University of California, Berkeley
- 1997 : Distinguished Member Award from IEEE Control Systems Society
- 2000 : Plaque of Appreciation, Asian Control Professor’s Association
- 2006 : IFAC Fellow
- 2008 : Outstanding Paper Award, International Conference on Biomedical Engineering
- 2009 : General Chairs’ Recognition Award for Interactive Papers from IEEE Conference on Decision and Control
- 2010 : Best Paper Award in Cognitive Robot in IEEE IROS (International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems)
- 2011 : Giorgio Quazza Medal from IFAC
- 1972, 1983, 1993, 1997, 2007 : Paper Award, Society of Instrument and Control Engineers (SICE)
- 1995 : Invention Award, the Chubu Institute of Invention and Innovation
- 1995 : Paper Award, Fluid Power Technology Promotion Foundation
- 1998 ,2004 : Book Author Award from SICE
- 2005 : Honorable Member Award from SICE