Speakers

The Technical Trend of Exhaust Waste Heat Recovery in Automotive

Ho Cheol Suh
Ho Cheol Suh
Director of SeJong Industrial/ Ph.D, Korea
15:40~16:20,November 21st, 2013

Abstract:

Only 25% of total fuel energy from internal combustion engine of automotive is used for mobility and accessories, the rest 75% is released into the outside by waste heat or friction and parasitic losses. Among the rest, 40% of total fuel energy is loss as high temperature exhaust gas.

TEG (Thermal Electric Generator, Seebeck generators), Steam-Hybrid, EHRS (Exhaust gas Heat Recovery System) technologies are applied for harvest and reuse these energy loss

TEG is device that converts heat (temperature differences) directly into electrical energy, using a phenomenon called the Seebeck effect. It is a solid-state device that uses semiconductor p–n junctions and has no moving parts. Steam-Hybrid is steam engine system of rankine cycle principle that provides driving force alone or complexly with internal combustion engine by heat recovery from exhaust or engine using heat exchanger. EHRS is system that warm up cold start engine, automatic transmission fluid and heat automotive interiors by coolant from exhaust gas heat recovery.

 

Research Interests:

Noise and vibration control in the automotive

Research and development for whole exhaust system with manifold and catalytic converter

Energy recovery system and waste heat include exhaust heat recovery system

Portable fuel cell generator with steam reformer

Sensors for fuel cell vehicle, for e.g. hydrogen, pressure, water level, combined sensor

Product for Fuel Cell Vehicle, for e.g. pressure relief valve, water trap, exhaust system

FPS (Fuel Process System) include hydrogen pressure control system, recycle system

 

Awards and Honors:

2012 : Awarding in commemoration of the Day of automobile